Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rich Chocolate Brownies

Another Saturday post!

Quite the shocker, I know. Again, it was important--but I want to keep with the weekday wedding post schedule, so here it is anyway. Today I'm going to share my favorite brownie recipe. If you're wondering why I would share one of my most loved recipes instead of keeping it a secret and busting it out to impress people...well, it's because I love you that much. All of you. The recipe is easy and calls for common ingredients--most importantly, everyone will love you if you take these anywhere.

I started making these Rich Chocolate Brownies from the Taste of Home cookbook around 2 years ago, and since then they've been requested for lots of birthdays, holidays, and the like. I was even paid to make them once. If you're into licking the beaters, this is THE recipe for you. I literally licked the bowl clean, and I'm not even a huge batter eater (batter-eater?). Suffice to say, if you take these bad boys somewhere, be prepared to come home with an empty pan. I usually double the recipe if I'm taking it to an event and still don't end up with leftovers. Here's what you'll need:

Again, my brownies are extra dark because I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa.

First, mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in one bowl. In another, beat the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. 

Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet.

Mix until smooth.

Then pour the batter into a (greased) 8in. x 8in. pan and bake at 350F for  25-30 minutes.

The brownies will fall a little after baking, and look like this. Allow them to cool completely.

Once the brownies are cool, mix the melted butter, cocoa, and coffee granules together. I use a spatula for this part so as not to dirty the beaters again.

Then slowly add the powdered sugar. The mixture will be crumbly until you add your water. Use just enough water (2-3 Tbsp.) so that the icing will spread, but isn't too runny.

Next, pour the icing over the cooled brownies. [Optional: Make someone take pictures as you do so.]

Here is the finished product just after icing. The icing will set up over the next few hours.

Then, these magical creatures are born.

The brownies themselves are chewy and rich, and the coffee icing is dark and intense.

Best.Brownies.Ever.

Rich Chocolate Brownies
Brownies:
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter

Directions:
First, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add melted butter. Then gradually add the dry mixture to the wet and mix until smooth. Pour into a greased 8in. x 8in. pan and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:
3 tbsp. cocoa
3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp. warm water

Directions:
Combine cocoa, butter, and coffee granules. Gradually stir in powdered sugar and enough water to achieve spreading consistency. The icing should be thin enough to spread, but thick enough to set up. Makes approx. 12 servings. 

As a side note, Thomas made this Fettucini Alla Pomodoro for dinner last night. It's a version of the spaghetti from the Scarpetta in NYC (which is $24 a plate), and it was absolutely delicious. It was so pretty, I had to pause for a picture!

I just love that cute little sprig of basil.

Jack hopes you have a great weekend!

-T, K, J & C

1 comment: