Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recapping Mom Week: The Shopping

Hey there everyone,

I dropped my mom off at the airport a couple of hours ago:[ Instead of moping around (which is what I feel like doing) I decided to start recapping her visit! We basically did two things the whole time she was here: shopped and ate. Both of which I happen to like a lot! Today I'll be showing you the shopping portion of her visit, and tomorrow will feature all the delicious food we've eaten over the last week. Well, most of it.

Since I got the job call around 20 minutes before my mom got here, we had lots of motivation (and good reason) to shop. We explored lots of different areas while she was here, but we spent the majority of our time at Perimeter Mall and in Norcross. There's also lots of great outdoor shopping in Atlanta, so we did some of that too. I know I haven't given you details on the where/when/what of what I'll be doing, but they are coming. For this post, all you need to know is that the place I'll be working has a casual atmosphere, and I am allowed to wear jeans. I'm going for a casual yet dressy yet professional/cute/fun/awesome/me vibe. GOT IT?! Thought so.

In preparation for this post, I was in the process of photographing my outfits (because I know some of you care about clothes and whatnot). I decided to lay out the clothes on the front room floor--which is clean, I promise--and stand on a chair to shoot them from above. While photographing the first outfit, I was exploring angles and decided to try one above my head. This was a mistake. As soon as I stuck my arm up (camera in hand and all), I heard a LOUD crack and felt pain shoot through my hand/arm. Turns out the front room fan is lower than I thought, and my hand was right in its path of fury. The fan still sounds weird like 45 minutes later, and my hand is actually really hurting as I type this. Haha. It'll probably turn out to be nothing, but it makes a funny story that I injured my hand with a fan while taking pictures of my new clothes. I think.

 
I know this injury might not look substantial, but I'm telling you, it hurts.

On a completely different note, there is currently another child outside my window shooting a gun. Yes, it is a play gun, but whatever. This one is a girl, and she has the same haircut I did as a kid, and I feel kind of bad for her. She keeps her gun in her sock when she's not shooting it, so that's kind of awesome.

Anyway, back to the shopping. Last Wednesday, my mom and I hit up Perimeter Mall for the first time. We were walking around just looking at stuff, and we decided check out Gap. I stopped shopping at Gap in junior high because it started looking too old for me. Now that I'm older, it fits my style much more, and we ended up spending forever there. The employees were super helpful, one guy named Drew in particular. It was almost like having a personal stylist. Here's some of the stuff I got (all photos courtesy of the Gap website).

I started off by choosing some nice, dark wash jeans. Gap just so happens to sell ankle length jeans for petite people like myself. It's exciting to finally own a pair of pants that I don't have to get hemmed.


Then we moved on to tops. I'm sad to say that my 4 favorite purchases weren't featured on the Gap website anymore (because almost everything I bought was on sale), so I can't show you some of the shirts I got. Ah well, I tried!

This is one of my favorites. I got this in dark green and dark purple, and it'll be great to wear under my cute jackets and whatnot. It's simple, but I like it.

I wore this today under a cardigan, and it's very flattering and comfy. It looks great under things for Fall/Winter, but also on its own. I thought the color would make me look gross, but it didn't.

Of course, camis are always a great staple. I got this one in white and grey, and it has a little tulle trim for some nice detail.

I'm pleased to report that this isn't very glittery in person. It's super sheer, so I'll be wearing a cami under it, but it's easy to dress up or down. It's also really comfy. BONUS.

This is something I'd never ever see myself buying, but it looks great on. It's a unique color, but I think it's perfect for fall. It was also on sale for like $18, and I do love a good blazer.

On Friday, we headed up to Norcross to do some shopping, and we ended up staying all day once we saw how great the area was. We started at Charming Charlie (I'd never been before, but it's basically just a huge store full of clothes and accessories categorized by color) and had hit up DSW, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, and James Avery by the end of the day.

I was looking mostly for a square scarf at Charming Charlie, and this one was perfect. I actually got the key necklace at Forever 21 during a different mall trip, but whateva.

It was pretty important that I find some new (more grown up) shoes while my mom was here. I'm super tempted to wear flats every single day, but I hate getting dressed and looking in my closet, only to realize I don't have any cute dressy shoes to wear. While we were in Norcross, we headed over to DSW where I got two pairs of shoes (using $15 in coupons and a giftcard) for less than $55!

These are some solid, basic low heels. They're not something I would wear regularly (because to this point I've been walking around a college campus) but I think they'll work really well in a work setting.

These were my more risky choice. I love the bows, the color, and basically everything about them. I think they're perfect for fall and will look good with a jean, a legging, or a dress. Obviously, I love them. Even though they aren't my 'normal' style, I'm recreating myself starting with these bad boys;]

As yet another aside, my mom and I convinced Thomas to go back to Perimeter Mall with us yesterday to do some returns and exchanges. When we pulled into our parking spot, we heard a small/weird explosion sound and were like "huh." Then we looked at the white Camry next to us, and quickly deduced that Thomas had run over a perfectly positioned [full] Diet Coke can, causing it to explode and spray Coke alllll over someone's nice clean car. We quickly parked somewhere else--across the aisle--to avoid being noticed or something (that doesn't make much sense now that I think about it) and I snapped this sneaky photo of the car in question.
So if you're in Atlanta and you're reading this and your car was mysteriously sprayed with Diet Coke at Perimeter Mall yesterday...that was us. And we're sorry But we couldn't help it and it wasn't our fault!

ANYWAY. It's been getting cooler and more Fall like lately, and I'm excited to report that today was the first day of boot weather! I looove wearing my boots, and I've missed it over the summer. Here's the outfit I wore today:

So now you know about my (growing up) wardrobe. Tomorrow I'll be recapping all the great dining we've experienced over the last week, and giving you more details on my job situation!

-T, K, J & C

No comments:

Post a Comment