Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Charlie Brown Christmas Wreath

Earlier in the week, I promised I'd do a post on the Christmas DIY crafts we completed this weekend. One of them is top secret (since it's a gift for our moms), but the other is cute, simple, and share-able.

Behold, the Charlie Brown Christmas Wreath.





This wreath was a combination of two things: this pin on Pinterest and my love for the 'natural' wreath. As evidenced by our wedding, I'm a huge fan of combining delicate, synthetic textures and natural ones (ex. lace and burlap). When I saw the above pin, I was inspired...but I wasn't a huge fan of the white yarn-wrapped wreath base--or the $40 Etsy price tag. 


If you're a fan of the Charlie-Browned look, here's what you need to make your own for less than $10:
 A wreath. This one is around 20" in diameter and was $5 at Hobby Lobby.

You'll also need a hot glue gun, scissors, a pen/pencil, and some thin black ribbon--all of which I had on hand. 

Finally, you'll need a sheet of felt in each of your desired colors. We like multi-colored lights (see: our house), so we got blue, green, yellow, orange, red, and white. It was like $2.

I also printed off these bulb templates for a bit of a tracing guide. Fo' free.

 Start by tracing the Christmas light shape onto your felt. In the end, I used 3 bulbs of each color.

Cut all the bulbs out.

I didn't photograph the next part, but here's what I did: cut a small piece of felt for the black part of the bulb (Thomas says it's called a socket). Hot glued it on to the end of the bulb. Next, I wrapped the ribbon around the wreath (using the Pinterest wreath as a guide) and glued on the bulbs about an inch and a half apart. I think the pictures explain it better.



It really was simple, but I wasn't great at photographing the steps, so leave any questions you have in the comments!

Tomorrow I'll be wrapping up the Christmas decor posts and showing you my favorite part of our Christmas House--the garland.

-Kinsey

No comments:

Post a Comment