Monday, July 18, 2011

Harry Potter Weekend

This weekend we got lots done! Yesterday marked the anniversary of three things:

1. One month since we moved to Georgia! It feels like it's gone fast and slow in different ways. It's not at all like I thought it would be, and I'm proud that I haven't been as homesick as I thought. It helps that Skype, Facetime, and texting exist.

2. Three weeks since the tree fell! Less positive than the first one, but it does mean that we get to get a whole new roof, paint, and have lots of other things repaired.

3. One week since we got Charlotte! She's snuggling with me as I write this and we couldn't be happier that she fits so well with our little family. 

On Friday, we went with Mari, Holly, and their friend Myron to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Overall we really liked the movie, but it was bittersweet to know that there's nothing left to watch or read in the series.

Albus Dumbledore said it best:“Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.” Ever since I was a baby, reading has always been something that my mom really emphasized. We started reading the Harry Potter series together when I was 9, and we both loved it from the beginning. I continued reading on my own as I got older, but I still remember the day we first discovered the series and she read it to me before bed at my grandparent's house on Lake LBJ.

It was clear from the beginning that there was something absolutely magical about J.K. Rowling's writing. She created an alternate (and awesome) world for kids and adults alike. People who don't typically like books love HP, and I think it was an amazing segue into the excitement of reading for those who might typically consider it boring. I truly believe that it changed my life as a reader, and the only thing that keeps me from being too sad about it being over is the fact that I will get to relive the magic through my own kids one day. I hope they love it as much as we do! Watching the final movie was very emotional--it literally gave me goosebumps a few times. I definitely saw the ending of the books (reinforced by the final movie) as the symbolic ending of my childhood, as I know lots of people in my generation did. I personally hope that J.K. Rowling will write more, but I think the Harry Potter series should be left just as it is.

On a lighter note, here are some pictures from our first Atlanta movie-going experience. I have to say, I was extremely impressed by the coke machines! They were so fancy...each drink came in like 10 different flavors. We shared a Sprite, and we had so many options ranging from peach, to apple, to cream. Of course, we just got regular Sprite. That's what happens when you give me too many choices:]

IT ALL ENDS. Giving my boo Harry one final kiss.

Proof that I fixed my hair.

On the way home, we were talking so in depth about the movie that we forgot to exit and ended up driving roughly 45 minutes out of the way, all the way up past Marietta. It was ok though; it gave us more time to discuss things (as if we don't have enough of that, ha).

Saturday we decided to clean out the Sun Room, which involved getting rid of more old furniture, organizing tools, and separating boxes so that we can put them in the right rooms once the house is fixed. I was going to show you what the Sun Room looked like before, but I realized that it looked emptier (and therefore better) until we moved in. Haha. So, instead I'll show you what it looks like now. We've still got work to do, but it will be much easier to move things back into the right rooms now that we're organized.

Here is the view from right outside the laundry room door.

This is from the other end. Jack is such a diva, he just couldn't help getting in this picture.

Then, the most exciting news of all: the dumpster finally got here! That in itself isn't super exciting, but it signals the beginning of the construction on the house. The contractor just left and the roof will be started tomorrow. Then demo will begin inside. We're really excited! Turns out we get to paint the laundry room too, and our landlady is so awesome, she's letting us choose everything:]

Charlotte watches in approval.

Next on the list of exciting things, the guys from DeKalb County FINALLY came to pick up the dead tree that's been sitting there for 3 weeks.

It was bigger than this at the beginning, but you get the idea.

The animals watched from their perch.

Ahhh. It looks so much better!

You know I can't leave you without a cute video. Here's Charlotte playing with her new mouse toy. Norma, the woman who rescued her, gave her a huge package of cloth mice as a going away gift!
-T, K, J, & C

No comments:

Post a Comment